Sunday 12 December 2010

A LOT CAN BE SAID WHILE JOKING

It feels that I've taken a long break from writing. So I am here again to pen down or in this case type down my piece of writing.

We often look for sense of humour in people. And the conversations with such people become quite interesting for all those who lack this natural talent of sense of humour. And the best part is that they don’t keep an air about it. But my point here is not to narrate a thesis on sense of humour. Instead I want to describe a situation which you all must have faced at some point of time, where people while joking pass certain comments about you as a person. This according to me is like crossing the boundary of joking. Am I making sense here? Not to the readers I guess.

For instance it happened to me quite a number of times that while joking with people, specially with your not so favourite relatives, they tend to pass comments while joking. And the moment they realize that they are hurting your sentiments they just find a way out by quoting, “oh!!! I am really sorry. I was just joking. I think I can joke with you. We are that close dear.”

Now poor you, you felt bad on that very comment but as it was said in a joke, you can’t even retaliate. And the worst, you are told to keep a good spirit about it. So does that leave u with any option. Yes there is a chance. Wait for your turn. Pass a subtle comment next time to the same person and quote the same lines, “oh!!! I am really sorry. I was just joking. I think I can joke with you. We are that close dear”, and yes maintain the sarcasm in your tone.

I almost sound like a sadist. We all joke about people. It comes natural to people while socializing. I believe only those people qualify to be good at sense of humor who know the limits of joking. It’s said that there are two kinds of sense of humour, first is when you joke about others, second when you joke about yourself. You’ll find very few people in this class. Note I’ve used the word “class” with certain implications. That only few people can joke about themselves, gracefully. So the moral of the story, joke about people but give a chance to yourself to be joked about. That will help you not to cross boundaries.

4 comments:

  1. well narrated! i know how it feels to write after ths long :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing post.
    i can relate to it so badly. i do cross the boundary a lot of times and this is something i do want to change.
    so in the future if someone thinks i am being mean, please remind me of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks shruti..
    hmmm... guess now i'll watch you from next time..and thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with dhruv....amazing post.
    n ya himani, i totally agree with u too dat v should give a chance to ourselves to b joked about coz may b it helps u to maintain d balance...:):)

    ReplyDelete